BOSTON BOMBINGS – After Night of Terror in Boston Suburb, a Dawn of Doughnuts and Relief

BOSTON BOMBINGS - After Night of Terror in Boston Suburb, a Dawn of Doughnuts and Relief

After Night of Terror in Boston Suburb, a Dawn of Doughnuts and Relief

Josh Haner/The New York Times
Sean Finn, 9, and his mother, Deanna Finn, reacting to noises that sounded like gunfire Friday in Watertown, Mass. Police officers ordered them back inside. More Photos »
Published: April 20, 2013

WATERTOWN, Mass. — All of Boston rode a roller coaster of emotions last week, from horror at the bloody bombings during the annual marathon to a grim wait under lockdown while the suspects were pursued, to pure euphoria once the second suspect was captured in a parked boat.

Slide Show
A Week of Terror in Boston

The Boston Victims
VIDEO: An End to the Boston Manhunt
INTERACTIVE GRAPHIC: Reconstructing the Scene of the Boston Marathon Bombing
INTERACTIVE MAP: The Hunt for the Boston Bombing Suspects

Bombing Inquiry Turns to Motive and Russian Trip (April 21, 2013)
Eerie Stillness at the Center of a Frenzied Crime Scene (April 20, 2013)

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @NYTNational for breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors
Enlarge This Image

Jim Rogash/Getty Images
Fans at Fenway Park for a Red Sox baseball game on Saturday held signs showing their support for the people of Boston. More Photos »
And by Saturday, suddenly, life had almost snapped back into place. Pedestrians and traffic reclaimed the streets of Watertown.

Dunkin’ Donuts was open, and Mardy Kozelian, 49, a building inspector, brought in his children. Like everyone else, he was relieved to be able to go outside. He was also relieved that SWAT teams were no longer barging into homes here and military Humvees no longer occupied the streets.

“Last night, a lot of people wished they had a gun in their house,” Mr. Kozelian said. “It’s crazy that in 12 hours it’s back to normal.”

But all around Watertown, the only subject was the surreal transformation of this quiet suburban town into a stage for the final act of a gruesome drama that had played out all week. People spent Saturday trying to make sense of it.

Mike Doucette, 27, a chimney sweep, had witnessed one of the most unsettling moments of the whole week — when one of the suspects was escaping the scene of a shootout and drove over the other, his older brother, who had been mortally wounded. The brothers were identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who is now hospitalized, and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, who died after the shootout.

Mr. Doucette said that the older brother was already lying in the street after the shootout and the younger one was speeding away from the scene when the undercarriage of the car caught the older brother. He said the car dragged the older brother about 30 feet, right in front of Mr. Doucette’s house, where a dark streak remains in the street. When the younger brother bumped into a police cruiser, the body was dislodged, Mr. Doucette said.

The scene had become a tourist site by Saturday, with people taking pictures, not only of the bloodstained street, but also where fragments of shrapnel had lodged in the siding of several houses.

Franklin Street, where the younger brother was captured on Friday hiding in a boat, remained blocked off on Saturday. But it quickly became a destination for curious neighbors and camera crews. David Henneberry, the owner of the boat, was not available for interviews, but neighbors said he was retired and very fond of the craft, which he used for fishing.

As people milled around the street, very few said they were concerned that no one had read Mr. Tsarnaev his Miranda rights. Perhaps the most adamant was DeAnna Finn, who lives a few houses from where the suspect was captured. “Civil rights?” she asked rhetorically. “When you do something like this, you just signed a contract giving away your rights.”

She declared: “An eye for an eye. Stick him in a cell with a pressure cooker,” a reference to the crude devices the suspects are believed to have used to set off explosions at the marathon, which killed 3 people on Monday and injured more than 170 others.

One resident who disagreed on this topic was Pamela Rosenstein, 44, who is a project director at “Nova” for WGBH-TV, a public broadcaster in Boston. “They have to proceed as carefully within the judicial system as they did in capturing him,” she said.

Other neighbors were amazed at the number of bullet holes around town, in the walls of people’s houses, in trees and in stop signs.

“Houses are full of bullet holes,” said Laura Buch, a musicologist in Watertown, “and it’s miraculous that none of the people inside are full of bullet holes.”

At the same time, investigators from the F.B.I. were interviewing neighbors and retracing the path that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev took during his rampage through town. Investigators in white hazardous-materials suits were taking pictures on Saturday of the boat, from which the white shrink wrap had been removed, revealing that the boat’s windshield had been broken.

Katharine Q. Seelye reported from Watertown, Mass., and John Schwartz from New York. John Eligon contributed reporting from Watertown.
A version of this article appeared in print on April 21, 2013, on page A12 of the New York edition with the headline: After Night of Terror in Boston Suburb, a Dawn of Doughnuts and Relief.
Get Free E-mail Alerts on These Topics

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s